Performance Piece


I stood outside on a busy intersection with four signs to see what people would honk at. I always see people on the side of the road holding up signs for a protest, or promoting a political cause, or  advertising services, but I have never seen anyone hold up signs that do not relate to anything. Each said "Honk For: Spaghetti, Candles, Lamps, and Camels." The footage in the video was taken over the course of about thirty minutes of standing on the corner of the crosswalk. Not surprisingly, the most popular sign that people chose to honk at was the spaghetti sign, maybe because it was the oddest thing to honk for, or maybe because so many people like spaghetti. At every green light, I would change my sign and hold it up for the people in the passing cars to see. I would watch the people in their cars and I could see some people reading the sign as they passed, laughing at the subject matter of the sign, and passengers telling the driver to honk. One passenger even leaned over the driver and honked themselves. In the beginning, I was nervous to hold up random signs for many people to see, but by the end of it I was having fun because I realized that I will probably never see any of the people in their cars again in my life, so what is there to worry about? Even if I saw them again, I would have something to talk to them about and inform them on why I was holding up the signs in the first place. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video Project

Music